Community Builder Gordon’s Bay
“I want to save our oceans. I want to save all of the life within our oceans. I feel the only way I can do this is by learning and understanding as much as I possibly can about this complex ecosystem… and to do that I need to travel the world and experience the sea in all of its natural states. I started out doing my Bachelor of Science but soon realized that the beauty and diversity of the world’s oceans want to be experienced through complete immersion and that research papers alone will not inspire the change I want to see happening!”
Instagram ¦ Facebook
Maddie's Ocean Journey
- Grew up along the east coast of Australia – fishing and surfing – like most Aussie’s do.
- Began scuba diving and driving boats at 16 through taking marine biology in high school.
- In 2015, joined famous marine conservation organisation Sea Shepherd Global and undertook various roles such as deckhand, quartermaster and communications for the next few years.
- Became a PADI Dive Master and Scientific Diver in 2018 in Borneo, whilst building artificial reefs destroyed from bomb fishing.
- Studied Maritime Operations and became a Coxswain (boat skipper).
- Up until recently has been managing a marine research station on a tiny tropical island in the north of Malaysia and became a PADI Dive Instructor.
- Has now ended up in Gordons Bay, South Africa to see where her career in marine conservation can take her from here!
Maddie's Reduction Journey
- Since a young age has always had a strong affinity to animals and saw them as sentient beings, but still consumed a lot of seafood… an Aussie’s culture.
- Volunteering at animal welfare shelters since high school, and was a voice for their injustices.
- Began a Bachelor of Science in Veterinary Technology but soon realised that she needed to make more of an impact towards fighting for animal’s rights.
- Through Sea Shepherd became strictly plant-based with no room for error, and was quickly thrown into the world of fighting animal abuse and exploitation, being on the frontlines of some horrendous crimes.
- Moving to South-East Asia found it more difficult to lead a plant-based lifestyle, as animals are a means of livelihood for most locals there. She soon made the connection that it is a privilege to be able to have options.
- Now adopts a 95% plant-based lifestyle, but would prefer to call it ‘ethical consuming’, avoiding the western mass produced way of living, and ensuring her food is ethically grown and obtained.
Oceaneers is a community-driven initiative created by two ocean lovers who wanted to inspire others to see that the biggest positive impact they could make to ocean sustainability was to change their food choices.
© 2018 Oceaneers.For.Life