“No other human activity is as damaging to our living planet as industrial fishing and livestock farmingg – the challenge is that still few people are aware of that.
Drawing so much energy and happiness from the oceans, I want to encourage other ocean-dwellers to stop supporting these industries with their hard-earned money, and raise their powerful voices to create a ripple-effect across our planet’s ocean-related communities – and beyond!”
Kaspar's Ocean Journey
- Born and raised in Switzerland, among mountains and cows
- 1st scuba dive age 12, 1st time on a surfboard by 18 during a gap year in Costa Rica (note: ‘on a surfboard’ not ‘surfing’…)
- Falls madly in love with kiteboarding during an exchange year in 2008 in Spain. Leads to an 8-year long obsession with the sport.
- Chasing the wind around the world whenever possible, he finally arrives in Cape Town, South Africa in 2013. He’s never left.
- Based now in Muizienberg, the new obsession is surfing – but he can still be found kiting, SUPing and freediving quite regularely
Kaspar's Reduction Journey
- Arrives in South Africa in 2013 as an omnivore
- Learns about the impact of factory farming through locals, reads Foer’s ‘Eating Animals’ and subsequently starts to cut out meat and dairy
- Does his first Vipassana retreat (10-day silent meditation based on Buddha’s teachings) in 2014, emerging even more inpsired to reduce suffering of all living beings
- Becomes active in reduction advocacy, e.g. by collecting signatures for a initiative to ban factory farming in Switzerland
- Eats now 95% plant-based and enjoys each meal in which he supports a flourishing plant-based food industry
Oceaneers crew Alumni
Creator of Iggy, Content force during 1st year
“I’ve lived by the ocean my whole life. I’ve paddled in her, dunked my overwhelmed head in her, lost weight with her, talked to her, taught my dog to swim in her, nearly drowned in her, painted her, fell in love in her, cried in her. She’s been my reprieve from the world, my therapist and my coach and too often, a best friend. What kind of friend would I be, if now when she needed me back, I did not also believe in her, create for her, stand up for her and fight for her?”
Andrea's Ocean Journey
- Grew up in the seaside town of Hout Bay, South Africa.
- Dabbled in longboarding during twenties.
- Prefers connecting with the ocean through paddle skiing and SUP missions.
- Couldn’t imagine life without summer sea swims and a water-loving golden retriever by her side.
- Regularly collects plastic waste on beach walks.
Andrea's Reduction Journey
- Was raised proper South African/ German – around the braai, meat = mains.
- Became aware of factory farming an inhumane animal practices around age 21 (2007).
- Dabbled in various fully committed forms of vegetarian, vegan, raw, pescatarian for a decade, while working in food writing and later in ethical nature-oriented industries, but never really felt comfortable in any absolute diet-style.
- Switched back to fully vegetarian during serious yoga and meditation studies.
- Finally settled into flexitarianism in a 90% plant-based ratio in 2016 with flexibility around social situations and opting for ethical wherever possible.
Oceaneers is a community-driven initiative created by two ocean lovers who wanted to inspire others to see that the biggest positive impact they could make to ocean sustainability was to change their food choices.
© 2018 Oceaneers.For.Life