oceaneers, \\\\ˈō-shən–nirs \\\\ noun:
A community of Ocean-aficionados who are driven by a shared passion and a shared purpose.
Shared passion = Getting salty & wet
Shared purpose = Eating for the Oceans
COMMUNITIES ROCK! MIND SHARING A BIT MORE ABOUT THAT PURPOSE?
With pleasure. Our purpose is to take better care of our Oceans (and the living planet as a whole), and we believe that our food choices play a huge role in that – especially when it comes to fish and other animal products.
These 3 pillars summarize our approach:
…is what we raise!
Food choices matter more than most people (want to) know. That’s not a coincidence – there’s some pretty powerful & loaded industries & lobbyists out there who want to keep it that way
… is what drives us!
3 times a day you get to vote, with your hard-earned nuggets. Unless you’re munching like Iggy, then it’s 6-12 times.
It’s like democracy, but on steroids.
..is what we aim for!
We don’t recommend to go from carnivore to complete herbivore, the same way we don’t recommend to go from Muizies to Dungeons (big wave spot).
We believe that reduction is the most sustainable path for most people.
SO FAR SO GOOD – BUT WHAT’S UP WITH THE DINOSAUR IN THE LOGO?
Glad you ask. Meet Iggy – our Marine Iguana and ocean mascot. Like Oceaneers – he’s devilishly good-looking (well…), spends lots of time in the water, eats tons of plants (actually: only) and doesn’t dig industrialized animal farming/ fishing (a bold claim, we know, but trust us on this one)! Fun fact: Upon his arrival in the Galapagos, Darwin lovingly called him and his kind ‘imps of darkness’…
CUTE! AND WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY ‘INDUSTRIAL’ FISHING AND LIVESTOCK FARMING?
Factories in place of farms. Intensive. Large-scale. Cheap. Shareholder value. Supermarkets. Exploitation.
– Commercial fleets
– Non-targeted (by-catch)
– Destructive and unsustainable
– Animals are treated as objects, no respect for life
– No relation between farmer and animal
– More animals than farm can feed
Connection between the human and the individual animal – respect, care and dignity. Back to the roots.
– Spear-/line fishing with focus on one animal
– Small-scale fish farms with high ethical standards
– Small farms with holistic methods (e.g. permaculture)
– Relationship between farmer and animal
– Animals can fulfil their social and physiological needs
– Lots of outdoor space, no use of antibiotics/hormones
GREAT! THANKS FOR SPOILING EVERY FUTURE MEAL… – SO WHAT DO I DO NOW?
Finally! We thought that you’d never ask! It’s easy – you can choose between 2 waves:
Wave 1 is for you if you’re interested in following our journey from distance.
Wave 2 is for you if you feel inspired to take actions.
WAVE 1: Become a follower / supporter
WAVE 1 – ACTIVITIES:
- Read & share our newsletter
- Follow us on social media.
THIS IS FOR YOU IF…
- you like what we’re doing and you want to be kept up to date,
- but you’re not based in Cape Town or
- you don’t have the time/energy to get more deeply involved.
COMPLETE THIS FORM TO SIGN UP TO OUR NEWSLETTER…
AND FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
WAVE 2: Become an Oceaneer
WAVE 2 – ACTIVITIES:
- Take our pledge
- Join your fellow Oceaneers on the reduction journey,
- Get rewarded by our brand partners and
- Join our events
THIS IS FOR YOU IF…
- you’re ‘re based in Cape Town (or eager to start your own Oceaneers-community elsewhere),
- and you feel inspired to take the next step (or wave).
LEARN MORE ABOUT HOW TO
BECOME AN OCEANEER
Oceaneers is a community-driven initiative created by two ocean lovers who wanted to inspire others to see that the biggest positive impact they could make to ocean sustainability was to change their food choices.
© 2018 Oceaneers.For.Life